Saturday, July 12, 2008

Tale of the Dog Show Day-Part 1



This weekend we have a big dog show down in Carmel. The dogs and I left the house at 7:oo am this morning to get down (First picture-Dixy riding shotgun). It was a two and 1/2 hour drive down and only parts of the ride are scenic. Thankfully I have my new Janet Evanovich audio book to listen to.


For me, the day of the dog show is nerve-wracking. I get to take my dog (who I think is fabulous and should always win) to a show where a person will judge him against that person's understanding of what the breed standard is. I don't know why I get so nervous. I guess I want everyone else to think he is as great as I do. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out that way and then I am crushed. Of course, Grady has no such feelings. He could care less. He just wants to go for long runs with his doggy buddies.


To the right are a few pictures to give you a flavor of the dog show. The first is Grady's handler practicing with him. Doesn't he look thrilled? The second shows the judge going over him (he was a particularly rough judge). The third shows Grady ready to do his run around the ring. And the fourth is a picture of the show grounds.


If anyone wants to see a very funny movie about dog shows (very true if not a slight exaggeration) watch Christopher Guest's "Best in Show". I see those people all the time.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I strongly recommend watching "Best in Show" as well. Watch it first, then watch it again with the comments. The interesting thing about this movie is that it had no written script, it was all adlibed by the actors. Most of the people in the movie were actors but there were a few licensed AKC judges from what I heard. I also heard that most of the dog exhibitors were regular show exhibitors, and the Poodle owner (who was not the handler) was really upset that her dog was not to be the one chosen for Best in Show so she pulled her dog from the movie and another had to be substituted and spray painted to match the original. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218839/)

When we get into the ring, we (and the owners standing along ringside) are really focused on showing the dog and the desire to win.

Pam Lambros said...

I couldn't have said it any better Walter. :-)