Friday, September 12, 2008

Dixy-Where Does the Energy Come From






Dixy is definitely my energizer vizsla. It is no exaggeration to say that she can go hard non-stop for hours. Today we went out to Hastings Island and as she usually does, she found a tennis ball. In order to try and tire her out, I use the water to my advantage and make her swim. She loves to swim and it uses a lot more energy than just running. Lucky for me. I only had a little over an hour today to exercise the dogs so, I had to use that hour effectively. The funny thing about Dixy will do the most unexpected things. Today, for example, I threw the ball and, as she always does, she leaped into the water to get the ball, swimming as fast as she could. Rather than turn around and swim back, she went up the other side of the levy, ran down the road, ran across the bridge and back to me. She did this even though she loves to swim and it would have been a lot shorter route. She is just a goof.

7 comments:

Tony said...

Hi Pam, thanks for visiting my blog. So you've got a Dixie too just spelt a bit different. I love Vizsla's, had a friend years ago with one & it was the first dog I ever saw with brown everything.
Have you ever visited Dennis' blog? http://dennisthevizsla.wordpress.com
he's a riot....

Pam Lambros said...

Hi Tony-Dixy was named in honor of the Dixie Chicks. I had to change the spelling to shorten it for her AKC registration.

Thanks for the heads up about Dennis the vizsla. I will check it out.

I look forward to checking your blog. You have some fun stuff.

Delilah and Rocket said...

A smart goof! Less energy to come back over the bridge than thru the water. You got your hands full there

Pam Lambros said...

She is smarter than I ever imagined. And yes she is a lovable goof. She makes me laugh all the time. :-)

Tony said...

The Dixie Chicks are the favourite band of "She who is not to be named on my blog" & was the main inspiration for the new puppy's name.

Pam Lambros said...

Ah-Well great minds think alike. :-)

Tony said...

Running, swimming, running some more. Teach her to ride a a bike & you have a 1st class triathlon competitor