Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Final Gnome Update and Jury Duty Summons


It's day ten. I think he has reached his full size. He doesn't seem to be growing anymore. Only fading in color. One of his eyes is crossed too. Let's see if he brings me good luck.
On a completely different note. I went to the mailbox and pick up my mail. What did I receive today...a jury duty summons. First thing I think of is, darn, it will probably be during my Thanksgiving vacation. I open it up, expecting the date to be at least a month away. Yikes!!! It is for TOMORROW. I ask myself, how did that happen. I only have a ton of things to get done by Friday and I have multiple meetings scheduled tomorrow. I would normally request an extension by mailing in the form but it is TOMORROW. There was a number on the form to call but I was skeptical. How often do you call those numbers only to be put on perpetual hold or in an endless automated loop. Much to my surprise, someone answered relatively quickly. Terence was his name. When I told him I received the summons today for jury duty tomorrow, he said SURPRISE! Actually, he was very helpful and moved my jury date to January 5th. Funny thing is, at first I was a little perturbed but then I said to myself, whatever happens happens. There you go...Terence took care of me. Now I get to go to work tomorrow...hmmm, on second thought, maybe I am the loser in this deal.

14 comments:

Sylvia said...

I've never been called for jury duty altho have always felt interested in being called. I think I'd make a good juror because I feel that I could be fair and impartial. It's a huge responsibility. Having juries as part of the criminal justice system is one thing we should be grateful for in a democratic society.

A former colleague of mine has done it about 3 or 4 times including a murder trial. The experience can be life alerting depending on what type of charges the defendent is up for. Of course, no one wants a trial that drags on for months. What would you do with your dogs???

PS - what was that ghome made out of?

Pam Lambros said...

Hi Sylvia-I agree whole heartily that being on a jury is a huge responsibility and I definately would take it seriously. This is the second time I have been called in California and once in Arizona. The first time I was in the pool to be selected for a child molestation case. I would have had a hard time on that one. Fortunately the courthouse is only about 5 miles away so I would be home at the end of each day, if I was selected.

The gnome is made of ethylene-vinyl acetate, acrylic based water-absorbent resin pigment. I have no idea what any of this is. I just copied it from the package. Supposedly, it is non-toxic.

Staci Wittenauer said...

A cross-eyed gnome made of ethylene-vinyl acetate, acrylic based water-absorbent resin pigment? Yeah, sure, that will bring you lots of luck!

Although you were lucky to get out of jury duty and lucky to be at work on Thursday - wouldn't want to miss those meetings!

Pam Lambros said...

No...wouldn't have wanted to miss the meetings. :-) See how lucky the gnome is.

Unknown said...

Where did you get the gnome? It sounds like a wonderful subject for scientific experimentation and / or a useful payload. Be very cautious Gnomes are evil in nature and should not be trusted.
pf

Anonymous said...

I believe Gnomes grown from seed packets are the unlucky variety. You should buy them full grown and only from reliable Gnome agents!

Staci Wittenauer said...

I knew there were others on my gnome side!

Pam Lambros said...

Someone else on Staci's side....WooHoo!

Tour Wonk said...

bring on the gnomes...

The Oceanside Animals said...

Your gnome looks like Jack Elam in a hat!

Unknown said...

Hi Pam, after seeing your gnome be so successful, I might have to unwrap my "grow-a-date" that my mom got me many years and see what that brings me. I'll keep you posted. First I have to find it :)

Tony said...

He doesn't look 600% his original size...
Shouldn't he be a lot bigger???
Or is he the Dwarf variety he he

Tony said...

ethylene-vinyl acetate, acrylic based water-absorbent resin pigment, that's why he didn't reach 600% size, too many drugs in his system which stunted his growth!!!

Pam Lambros said...

Yes! That must be it....We will blame it on the drugs. :-)